Sunday 20 March 2011

The first step into kayak fishing

I have really no idea what first got me interested in fishing from a kayak. id always fished from my boat and had done for well over 15 years, both fresh (Nagambie) and salt around the Point Cook, Altona, Corio Bay areas. Through this blog Im going to run through a full description ( or try to) of my journey from the start to now. Including all my modifications and ideas along the way.

After a while of looking around i decided on my first kayak, the Viking Epsri.


At 3.5 meters long and around 20 kilos in weight it seemed the perfect sized kayak to start my kayak fishing /exploring adventures. It turned out to be a fantastic choice, however the rrp of 1100 dollars was sort of rather high. Mine cost about 700. Then it was time to go and have a paddle, the first paddle i had on it was early in the morning around Princess pier in Port Melbourne.

Then it was time to take it fishing. i remember taking one rod out laying across my legs with a soft tackle bag in the rear well with my gear. The first fishing trip was out at Campbells cove Point Cook To say i was more than happy with the outcome was an understatement. Some nice flathead was the first catch on the little kayak. It was easy to handle and easy to paddle.
Wow this kayak fishing does work and is fun, time to start to pimp the kayak to make it a more user freindly fishing machine.......